Unbeaten contender claims Martin’s team stopped responding before face-to-face encounter forced verbal agreement in Las Vegas
Click Here To Watch Ryan Garcia Mario Barrios LIVE!
Unbeaten contender Ernesto “Tito” Mercado forced Frank Martin to accept a future fight publicly after confronting him face-to-face during Friday’s weigh-in in Las Vegas, turning a private dispute into a direct challenge in front of cameras and fans.
Mercado, who holds an 18-0 record with 17 knockouts, said the tension began when Martin’s manager contacted his team about a possible fight, but never followed up after receiving his information. The situation escalated when the two fighters crossed paths during weigh-in activities for Martin’s scheduled bout against Nahir Albright.
“I would accept the fight with you,” Mercado told Martin during the exchange. “I handle business, and then we can make it happen. One hundred percent. Just so everybody knows, I accept the fight in a heartbeat.”
Mercado said he had already agreed privately when contacted but felt Martin’s side failed to move forward.
“I get a text from his manager… he told me if I was interested in the fight,” Mercado said. “I was like, let’s do it. I sent him my information… I never heard nothing back from him. To me, that’s a duck.”
The confrontation unfolded in full view of media and fans gathered around the weigh-in stage, preventing either fighter from avoiding the moment. Martin verbally agreed during the exchange, effectively confirming his willingness to take the fight once his immediate obligation against Albright is completed.
Mercado has emerged as one of the most aggressive young contenders at 140 pounds, stopping 17 of his first 18 opponents. His recent knockout win over Jose Pedraza kept his rise intact and strengthened his push toward higher-level opposition.
By forcing the issue in person, Mercado removed any doubt about where things stand between them. Martin agreed to the fight publicly, in front of cameras and fans, after previously being accused of going quiet when contact was made. The exchange turned a social media dispute into a real fight possibility, and attention now turns to whether Martin follows through once he gets past Nahir Albright.

Last Updated on 02/21/2026










